In a divorce, how can you take over a mortgage and change a deed?

Q. My boyfriend is working on a mortgage assumption to take his ex wife’s name off his home, so it would be in his name only. I’ve been reading that the deed should also be solely in his name. How can he go about that? Can the mortgage company put that into place for him? A refinance and an assumption are different so I am not sure what steps should be taken with the deed. The mortgage company wants the deed and the divorce decree as documentation to change names and such but the deed currently has both their names still on it.

— Girlfriend

A. Your boyfriend’s divorce agreement should spell out in clear, unambiguous language what he’s expected to do.

I'm a song witter, story teller and likes to blog
%d bloggers like this: